Chicken vs. Egg! v0.1: Now with MORE movement!

It’s been several days since my last post, and I’ve been up to quite a bit – I don’t think I can cover it all in this post, but I’ll hit on the main points.

I took a little break from Chicken vs. Egg! to return to a website I first discovered probably a decade back when I was first learning Python – it’s called Python Challenge, and it ate up a lot of my coding time since I last posted. It’s a very basic-looking website with levels you can only clear by implementing a programming solution – for example, one level has a picture which links to another page when you click it. That page contains a picture which links to yet another page, and so on a couple hundred pages deep until you finally reach the solution. Sure, you could spend a decent chunk of time clicking through manually – but the idea here is to learn how to load up the pages via a script and click through automatically so the program does all the work for you. It truly is challenging, and I enjoy it quite a bit. That’s only one example; it gets steadily more challenging as you progress. I highly recommend it if you’re looking to increase your working knowledge of Python when applied to semi-real problems.

chicken-movement-demo-3

I ended up falling asleep early a few nights ago and broke my 100 Days of Code streak, but I got right back to it (here’s a link to day 15). Well, I’ll clarify – I’ve still been working on code every day, but I forgot to log and upload yesterday and didn’t feel like backtracking, so I just decided to write it off as a free day. Today I made some good progress on CvE! – I started refactoring the code into much-needed OOP format, starting with creating a class for the Chicken. I still need to handle the Egg, but now that I’ve got the Chicken class working, I think it’ll be a piece of cake.

Once I merged the branch I’d made for writing the chicken OOP code, I moved on to adding vertical movement for the chicken, which I was able to implement in no time (I’ve added a new GIF for your viewing pleasure). The program is still a baby, but it’s really starting to take shape. I decided to go ahead and call it v0.1 – the first program I’ve ever tagged with a version number! It’s something I want to get in the habit of doing.

In addition to learning how to tag the version on git, I also learned how to reset to a previous commit, how to compare code at various points (rather than the currently staged version vs. the previous commit), I’ve been getting better at branching regularly, I learned how to push a branch to Github (which I didn’t realize hadn’t been happening automatically), and I learned how to correct a prior commit message. I’m pretty amazed at the depth of this tool, and equally amazed that it’s available for free. It’s becoming less scary to me as it becomes less and less of an unknown quantity.

Tonight I finished refactoring my code to make the Egg class and an eggs array, where I should be able to store all of my eggs (once I have multiple flying across the screen at any given point). Next, I plan to work on collision detection, random generation of the eggs, and getting them to fly across the screen (perhaps with rotation). I also want something more than just a black background, but I’ll save that for the polish phase. I’ll check back within a few days to let you guys know how it’s going. In the meantime, you can check out the repo on Github here, if you’d like.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s