A new theme, and introducing Chicken vs. Egg!

If you’re a returning reader (welcome back!), you may have noticed that I changed the theme on the blog (if you’re interested in specifics, I switched from Libretto to Tonal). If you’re a new reader, that bit of news is totally irrelevant – but welcome, all the same! As I mentioned previously, I was considering migrating to Jekyll, but I do think I’ll stick with WordPress.com until further notice. The interface works well enough for me, and I like the built-in community (it’s brought me a good number of readers thus far, and it’s a good feeling to know I’m not just shouting into the void).

Today, I decided to quit procrastinating, and I got started on my “dodge” game (put simply, you move a chicken around the screen to avoid getting hit by flying eggs). Since I knew there was a popular library in Python called Pygame, I decided to switch my focus from JavaScript to Python and take a break from Codewars problems.

I’m embracing my Shitty First Code philosophy once again with this project, embracing that what I crank out initially is going to inevitably suck. But it’s an iterative process; after I complete my objectives with each version, I’ll add more objectives and continue improving it until it’s something playable (if unoriginal). So far, I’ve accomplished the following:

  • Create a window onscreen with a solid background color
  • Create custom graphics for the chicken and the egg (using Gimp)
  • Display said graphics within the window
Screenshot of a window with a black background featuring a computer-drawn chicken and two eggs

Screenshot of my first game, Chicken vs. Egg!

Since I envision the game starting out slow and easy and ramping up in difficulty as the player’s score increases, I knew I’d need to be able to produce the egg image in multiple different sizes. Rather than producing individual art files for each size of egg, I simply cranked out one abnormally large egg which I scale via pygame’s transform module. I also incorporated this feature into the code via a separate branch in git, which is a habit I haven’t used many times to date (since the complexity of my previous scripts didn’t seem to warrant it). I also figured out how to diff (view the differences between) my previous commit and staged files in Terminal.

In its current state, my game (which I’ve aptly titled Chicken vs. Egg!) is merely a static image displayed onscreen. There’s no animation and no real logic in the game loop. Ultimately, I want the eggs to fly in from all sides of the screen at random angles with a size, velocity, and frequency that increase over time. I also want to add in a background image, I’ll need a score counter, and I’m thinking of a power-up or two to give it some added playability. Eventually, I might add in a start menu and a way to save a list of high scores and adjustable difficulty – so many ideas floating around in my head. It would be great if I could just make a working game, but it would be even better if the game was actually fun. I think I can do it…but one thing at a time.

If you aren’t already, please click the “Subscribe” button in the blog menu! There is also an option to subscribe and receive email notifications when I post (which is no more than a few times a week at most). Thanks for tuning in!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “A new theme, and introducing Chicken vs. Egg!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s